Support and participate generally in the successful growth of the firm’s Dispute Resolution department. To advise and represent clients in connection with a wide range of commercial and civil dispute. Take an active role in business development and marketing the department and firm to existing and potential new clients.
Professional/ Technical Advice
• Advise clients competently and confidently on the technical aspects of a wide range of disputes, particularly in cross border insolvency, commercial litigation and civil law ;
• Be assertive and creative when developing or finding solutions to problems and methods of working. Add value through innovative ideas and approaches;
• Approach issues with commercial sense and provide solutions which are pragmatic;
• Guide clients on strategy relating to the particular matter they are advising on, meeting client needs or reacting quickly to changing requirements.
• Prepare case analyses and supporting documentation with cost estimates.
• Effectively negotiate with clients about fees.
• Effectively monitor WIP and amounts billed against cost estimates and agreed budgets and billing arrangements;
• Participate in the firm’s internal and external training programmes;
• Contribute to the development of Know How and precedents when drafting complex documents.
• Build and maintain relationships with clients, to help retain and attract more clients and work into the business. Actively contribute to the development of clients and contacts for the whole firm;
• Take a proactive role in developing relationships with key clients. Work with others to ensure a cross-departmental approach is taken to client management. Recognise and exploit cross-selling opportunities;
• Have a good understanding of activities and services of competitors and have mechanisms in place to keep up to date;
• Clearly understand the firm’s strategy and look for ways that the department can work with other groups to further develop opportunities. Participate effectively as a member of the team involved in winning business;
• Play an active role in the firm’s CSR initiatives and encourage those within the team to get involved;
• Actively promote the firm’s public profile.
Training, Supervision and Development
• Support senior associates and partners in the management and training of more junior fee earners and trainees;
• Demonstrate effective supervision and guidance to junior lawyers/ trainees/ paralegals to develop the skills of the team. Delegate and manage the work of trainees/ junior lawyers/ paralegals appropriately and monitor the progression of work, providing appropriate guidance when required;
• Help create a participative and productive work environment;
• Respect and encourage the contribution of junior lawyers and support staff. Encourage and support others to make the best of their abilities. Motivate colleagues through recognition, praise and mentoring;
• Constantly looks for ways to develop own skills and knowledge, including management skills.
Qualification as a Barrister in England & Wales or a Caribbean jurisdiction
• Partner level experience gained with a top tier litigation practice in commercial and civil litigation with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Strong drafting, research and advocacy skills
• Strong trial experience
• Knowledge of cross border insolvency, commercial litigation and civil law