Close date: 27 July 2018
The successful applicant will provide administrative support and legal advice to the judges by performing functions relating to administration of justice in an efficient and professional manner.
- Perform the following activities as the Judge(s) may direct to support the operations of the Court in a timely and professional manner:
a. Conduct research in legal and related areas
b. Prepare legal opinions and memoranda
c. Read and review records of matters to be heard by the Court
d. Advise the Judge(s) on the status of matters pending before the Court
e. Submit annually a list of required text for the Judge’s Library
- Enter into correspondence with persons and legal officers as directed by the Judge(s) to ensure adequate coordination and communication.
- Perform the functions of Protocol Officer for the Judge(s) to ensure these are carried out in a competent and efficient manner at all times.
- Assist the Registrar at the High Court when Court is on vacation to ensure optimal use of resources.
- Prepare outgoing letters of request for legal assistance in matters and advise on incoming letters of request for legal assistance in matters when required.
- Attend/Participate in relevant workshops and seminars and assist with presentations when requested in order to represent the Department and ensure awareness of up-to-date legislation, knowledge and information.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
- Bachelor of Laws Degree or equivalent
- Bar Professional Training Course Certificate (BPTC)
- Admitted to the BVI Bar or imminent Call or other common law Bar qualifications
- Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
- Sound knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
- Sound interpersonal and organizational skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sound legal research skills