The successful applicant will provide legal advice to ministries and departments, provide leadership in conducting litigation and assist the Attorney General and Solicitor General in the training of junior counsel to acquire litigation skills.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the Department and the supervision of staff.
- Serve as Lead Counsel in the Courts during trials in order to maintain the activities of the Court.
- Prepare cases, arguments, letters, opinions and legal documents as well as manage the preparation, filing and service of documents.
- Prepare outgoing letters of request for legal assistance in matters and advise on incoming letters of request for legal assistance in matters when required.
- Provide written legal advice to Commissions, Government Ministries and Departments, and attend meetings to provide immediate oral advice on legal matters as required in order to provide timely and professional information.
- Attend/Participate in relevant workshops and seminars and assist with presentations when requested in order to represent the Department and ensure awareness of up-to-date legislation, knowledge and information.
- Undertakes general legal assignments including the drafting and/or vetting of legal matters
- Prepare for adjudication of matters, negotiate amicable settlements: contract or court.
- Manage summary court, as assigned.
- Serve on various committees as required.
- Supervise and lead Crown Counsel and Senior Crown Counsel in the management of cases.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
- Bachelor of Laws Degree or equivalent
- Bar Professional Training Course Certificate (BPTC)
- Admitted to the BVI Bar or imminent Call or other common law Bar qualifications
- Seven (7) years post qualification experience
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of the Civil Procedure Rules of the BVI jurisdiction
- Expert knowledge of and experience in Court proceedings
- Expert knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
- Ability to master and interpret legislation
- Vast experience in civil litigation and legal advice on complex legal issues
- Excellent legal research skills
- Excellent analytical, negotiating, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sound supervisory and management skills