Electronic Gadgets from UK

AskElectronic Gadgets from UK
Nick Cunha asked 9 years ago

Hi guys,

I am moving from Scotland to the BVI in November and was wondering if I should leave all my gadgets (hairdryer, laptop etc) at home and get USA versions due to the voltage. I was going to bring them and get adapters but someone mentioned that some gadget don’t do very well what with the voltage and then an adapter.

Any advice would be appreciated.



Lauren Charley replied 9 years ago

Good afternoon,

You are correct, our voltage is 110v which is compatible with North American plus.

You will need to bring an adapter for European electronics, and it is advisable to also use a surge protector as we frequently endure power outages and surges on the island.

For gadgets which use more power and are less expensive such as a hairdryer, I personally would recommend purchasing new. Keep in mind however that items tend to be far more expensive here and we have a more limited selection. It may be cheaper to purchase on St. Thomas or purchase online and ship through a service such as Aeropost to reduce cost.