Close date: 3 July 2018
The successful applicant will assist in the academic, personal, and social development of all students in the Virgin Islands educational system.
- Assists with the orientation of students to the school community, providing them with the necessary help for proper adjustment.
- Assists with providing leadership in developing programmes for children including those with special needs.
- Assists with providing individual and group counselling for students, and works with students with behavioural problems.
- Assists with establishing and maintaining students’ records as applied to guidance and counselling activities.
- Assists with providing activities and information to students to help with the transition from primary to secondary schools, or at alternative option.
- Assists with the setting up and running of clubs and social outreach programmes for the personal and social development.
- Consults with teachers and principals on matters pertaining to students.
- Assists with the development of career guidance programmes and guidance related activities; preventative, developmental and skill programmes for students.
- Communicates with the Education Officer responsible for guidance and counselling regarding the guidance programme in the school and referral issues.
- Works in remediation and crisis intervention programmes.
- Assists with coordinating parenting education seminars.
- Performs any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s Degree in psychology, counselling, social work or related field
- Three (3) years working experience in the area of counselling
- Good knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Good analytical and decision-making skills
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills
- Sound knowledge of Behavioural Science and Child Development
- Sound knowledge of remedial and crisis intervention programmes and techniques
- Sound knowledge of individual and group counselling techniques
- Sound knowledge of psychological diagnostic tools
- Ability to work well under pressure