Close date: 20 July 2018
The successful applicant will provide legal advice as well as prosecute cases in order to maintain the integrity of the legal system in a professional manner.
- Serve as Senior Counsel in the Courts and assist Senior Officers during criminal trials in order to maintain the activities of the Court.
- Prepare cases, draft charges and arguments, letters, opinions and legal documents as well as manage the preparation, filing and service of documents.
- Prepare outgoing letters of request for legal assistance in criminal matters and advise on incoming letters of request for legal assistance in criminal matters when required.
- Provide written legal advice to Commissions, Government Ministries and Departments, and attend meetings to provide immediate oral advice on legal matters as required in order to provide timely and professional information.
- Attend/Participate relevant workshops and seminars and assist with presentations when requested in order to represent the Department and ensure awareness of up-to-date legislation, knowledge and information.
- Undertakes general legal assignments including the drafting and/or vetting of legal matters.
- Prepare for adjudication of matters, negotiate amicable settlements: contract or court.
- Serve on various committees as required.
- Supervise and lead Crown Counsel in the management of cases.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
- Bachelor of Laws Degree or equivalent
- Bar Professional Training Course Certificate (BPTC)
- Admitted to the BVI Bar or imminent Call or other common law Bar qualifications
- Seven (7) to eight (8) years post qualification experience
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge and experience in criminal prosecutions
- Proven experience in criminal law in particular proceeds of crime , money laundering and asset forfeiture
- Excellent knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in Court proceedings
- Ability to master and interpret legislation
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and verbally
- Sound analytical, negotiating, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sound legal research skills