Department of Human Resources
The successful applicant will inspect the necessary establishments and imports and enforce public health legislation in order to protect the health of the population.
- Inspect and collect samples from all necessary establishments and imports to ensure that public health standards are maintained according to regulations.
- Advise and educate on environmental health issues to ensure compliance with regulations and the health and safety of others.
- Enforce Public Health and any other relevant laws and regulations.
- Investigate, advise and take action on the control of rodents and insects in and around the port in order to reduce or prevent the spread of vector borne/communicable disease.
- Investigate disease outbreaks among travellers and apply the required surveillance or quarantine measures in order to reduce the spread of disease.
- Compile reports as required and assist with the evaluation of the environmental impact assessments of existing and proposed development projects around the port of entry zone to ensure in order to successful monitor the environmental health activities in the Territory.
- Collaborate with other agencies on matters of common interest in order to effect and enhance border security.
- Participate in legal proceeding in cases which involve offences of public health regulations.
- Monitor and supervise the collection and disposal of sewage and solid waste at the port to ensure that it is disposed of correctly.
- Inspect and clear conveyances in accordance with IHR 2005.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health/Public Health or a related area
- Three (3) years’ working experience in a related area
- Valid BVI Driver’s Licence
- Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of survey methodologies and environmental monitoring techniques
- Sound knowledge of GIS and VHF radio and other communication equipment or systems
- Ability to collect, analyse and interpret a wide range of environmental data
- Sound interpersonal and organisation skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills